Friday, December 21, 2012

Whole Light

When I traveled in Guatemala two years ago, I vowed to not return anywhere near the supposed end of times.  In fact, I purposefully scheduled the yoga retreat I'll bring to Lake Atitlan for 2014.  I had conversations with Mayan Kakchiquel while in Guatemala about their understanding of this cycle.  They all felt their belief system signifies this time as one of transition-- & that of the doomsday prophecies were nonsense.

Then I woke this morning to the floods.  I worried I wouldn't make it to my 6 am yoga class while the car swam through high water by Cooper River.  I started scanning for swarms of locusts.  Rings of fire.

By 8 am the sun shone.

The other day Kevin heard an anthropologist explain his understanding of some Mayan foundational beliefs.  Mayans believe they were crafted in maize and sacred blood.  They understand themselves to be whole.  The contrast is against Judeo-Christian belief in original sin.  Apocalyptic beliefs are atonement-- the day of Reckoning for original sin.  If we're fundamentally sacred there is no need for atonement.  There is no beginning & no end.  Just cycles.  Transitions.

This belief system is markedly similar to the beliefs being reflected in the early records of yogic teachings, Hinduism, and Buddhism.  We are understood to be fundamentally holy beings, complete, and sacred.  Our flaws are superficial, and meant to be transcended to return to our true state.  There is no atoning-- just restoration.

Mayan Kakchiquel crabber at sunset in holy Lake Atitlan
As the solstice invites us to turn in, find light in dark, fold and reconnect, I'm hunting for that primal seed.  A kernal, inkling of True Self.  Allowing it to be illuminated in Darkness-- to shine brighter as the world tilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment