Monday, June 9, 2014

Our Near Misses Are Epic

My boot has become a beacon for people's injury stories. I share my metatarsal fracture earned... walking. They share their fractures, tendon ruptures, breaks, and surgeries. My dawning realization is that it is a MIRACLE we all function as well as we do. We are so much more fragile than I often suspect! And the multitude of misses! The many times we DID attempt the ill-advised dance move and weren't hospitalized. Astounding.

I have been hearing stories of injuries lying dormant for 40 years. When the effects surface, it's absolutely a challenge. But what a gift to have those 40 years! With my own injury, there is sometimes the impulse to complain. It's an annoyance, a limitation. However, I'm not always equally motivated to acknowledge the movement and ability I enjoy the vast majority of the time. Maybe reminders like this cultivate needed gratitude. I am largely protected.

I found a way to plant potatoes booted. There's always a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment