Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Thank you for Blessing this Journey

Image from the flower festival in Mumbai. I'll be there Friday!

Tomorrow I fly out to Mumbai.

I've dreamed of going to India for most of my life. I hatched a plan when I was 18 but was distracted. In retrospect, I'm glad. It gave me time to know myself better, know my home environment more intimately, build family & community. I think I'm better ready to be a student on this journey.

I'm training to be a Jivamukti Yoga Teacher in Yoga's ancestral land. I'm very grateful.

I feel blessed and supported by so many.

Kevin was the first who said he'd support me. I'll circle back to him...

My Aunt Ria was the second who said that she thought this was a wise undertaking. She encouraged me and pointed out when aspects of this journey seamlessly fell into place.

My Mother-in-Law, Barbara, and my Father-in-Law, Donny, gifted me the required props and yoga supplies to take to training. She also is sending me off with books by my favorite authors like Jhumpa Lahiri and Arundhati Roy. 

My Mother gave me white clothes for Satsang and suggested jetlag prevention remedies like plum extract and homeopathic jetzone.

My friend, Sheena, talked to me about the implications of being a white US student in India. She helped me understand how I could hopefully be a more respectful presence. I'm really grateful for her time and energy.

My friend, Avir, talked to me about the realities of a US-accustomed digestive tract in India. He made sure I had what I needed!

My friend and colleague, Rachelle, gifted me white clothes for Satsang.

My friend, Jill, gifted me white clothes and a camera.

My friend and YogaTree's owner, Lynn, gifted me white clothes for Satsang.

My friend, Erica, gifted me white tunics and stretch pants perfect for Satsang as well as wormwood, clove, and black walnut extract to prevent malaria. (Erica would know-- she lived in New Delhi.)

My friend, Joanne, surprised me with a card and money so I could purchase incidentals! She also gave me nutritious snacks, handiwipes, and travel sized goodies. I also have a card packed that I'm not allowed to open until my birthday, on February 12.

My friend, Cindy, gifted me her copy of Eat, Pray, Love, for when yogic theory feels heavy.

My friends and colleagues, Danielle, Jess, Melissa, and Chuck for covering my Yogawood classes.

The larger Yogawood community for continuing to make me feel both connected and inspired.

People like Catherine and Jen offering me extra work projects to help off-set the cost of tuition.

My colleagues at Yogawood, Ceremony Officiants, and the Wellnest for their understanding and support.

Jivamukti Yoga granted me a partial scholarship that covered my flight. For their method, teachers, and on-going inspiration, I'm so grateful.

Lady Ruth, who will be a facilitator on this training, spoke to Kevin and I this past fall. We went upto NYC to take a class with her. Afterwards, I introduced myself and Kevin to her, explaining I would train and that Kevin was supporting me. She spent time patiently sharing some of her own experiences of training in India away from her husband. She explained that she always prioritized being with him and was very considered when she trained by herself. She said that really helped him understand how important he is to her and to keep them close. Kevin and I both were so honored by her sweet gesture.

My friend, teacher, and collaborator, Beth, started my "hope chest" of white clothes at clothing swaps our friends hold some time ago. It was all intended for my Jivamukit training prior to my even knowing that this would be a reality! She's talked to me over the years about supporting me in fundraising for the tuition. She's supported my projects that have enabled me to participate! Yesterday, she and I met to go over the St Lucia retreat we just offered, and some other incidentals. Before I left, she gave me a bag to hold my mala beads. When she did her Jivamukti training, she purchased a scarf. She took a bit of it to create the bag.

And to Kevin. He's my favorite person. He told me that this was the right thing for me and that he would help make it happen, and he has. He's helping me see through Dee & Carrie's Winter Mountain Retreat by taking over my duties as Coordinator. He's taking care of so many big picture and tiny details so that I'm free to go and learn. We always said to one another that we want to be close, keep moving our lives alongside one another's, and also make sure that each of us can pursue what lifts us up and helps us grow. Reluctantly, often grumpily, I made room for him to complete his degree at Goddard. I have to say, he's been much warmer about my on-going education. He's my favorite person to adventure with. I'm really sad that he won't be with me but also grateful that he's giving me this opportunity to grow. I got a 10-year-multi-entry visa to India mainly so that he and I can go back together. When I get home, we're going to adopt kittens together. Thank you, Kevin, for loving me so well. I love you more.


3 comments:

  1. Dearest Maiga, you give so much of yourself; lovingly, courageously and honestly! It's no wonder you've had so much support for your life's journey. All of that love and energy you put out there has come back to you. India is awaiting you! I'm so happy for you! The Jivamukti community is lucky to have you! Please tell Kevin that Jeff and I are here if he needs anything! Have a safe and wonderful trip! I look forward to seeing you and hearing about your experience when you return! Love, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy. You melt my heart. What a love-gushing piece of sweetness. Thankyou for sharing your journey with the world. You do life real good. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are heading towards a gorgeous transformation and time of personal growth, Maiga. Very, very happy for you and how you will continue to make the world a better place!

    ReplyDelete