Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Here. Wherever that is.

Thanksgiving means a six hour drive along the Eastern Shore and a requisite stop for greasy fare at a diner.  It means time for Kevin and I to have a "State of our Union"-- a bigger, longer, uninterrupted talk about what's been occupying our thoughts and lives.  It's easy to live with another person, hug them, have brief check-ins, but not fully know the other's inner content.  These car trips offer an opportunity to have those winding conversations of greater depth.

Often, I'll toss out questions like Kevin's top three wish list destinations.  Honestly, there's nowhere in the world that I don't have some interest in experiencing.  Knowing what's whetting his whistle helps me narrow down my own desires.  Inevitably, these questions will reflect back to previous adventures we've shared and how they may be coloring our current impulses.

As much as I'm curious about all the world, I've also truly enjoyed all of the trips I've taken.  Given that we have a limited amount of time for each trip and that we've mandated annual travel, there's always another trip on the horizon.

We always reflect on Vietnam.  I remember being so overwhelmed, in the best possible way, by the intensity of sight, scent, and sound.  All of my senses were triggered and I was so aware.

There have been periods of my life that were remarkable and unfortunately, I didn't realize it until I had the benefit of hindsight.  Maybe because of the punctuation surrounding these international adventures, I always know in that moment that this life is truly remarkable.

That keen sense of being alive reminds me to cultivate that same wonder and appreciation in my day-to-day life.  It can be mundane, sure, but it can also be a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment