Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Making Space

A little travel can offer a lot of perspective.  I stay intentional about mandating travel, at least annually, to insert that pause into the day-to-day momentum.  All fall I felt really over-extended and spread thin.  I struggled with what to do.  I was so grateful to have had work opportunities-- especially when Kevin and I needed money.  I'm very appreciative for the ability to work!  However, I felt like I was always rushing around.  I was always too busy.  It was really hard to find enough time, let alone enough time for myself.

Despite the robbery, while in El Salvador I was able to carve some time to lay in a hammock and stare out to sea.  I remembered how I want my life to feel.  I remembered what's important to me.  While I'm grateful for work, I also know that I have to strive for balance.  I made the decision to leave three of my regular yoga classes each week.  When I came home, I gave a month's notice at the two studios.  I offered to teach for the duration of February to give the owners time to find a replacement or cancel those classes.

I still feel a little nervous about my decision.  I don't ever want to take opportunities lightly.  But I also feel a sense of calm.  I'm grateful to have met the students at those studios, for the opportunity that I had, and I hope to continue to grow with these communities in the future.  For now, I've made some more space.  I'm actively cultivating balance.  That's fertile work.

No comments:

Post a Comment