Monday, November 19, 2012

My first Half Marathon!

Last year Kevin, myself, & three friends joined Team Vegan in running the Hahnemann 8K as part of the Philadelphia Marathon.  Our fundraising benefited the Humane League's animal rights campaigns.  We had a blast, so we added more folks onto our 8K group, & Kevin & I joined the Philadelphia Half Marathon.

We trained together (though I didn't train nearly as much as I'd hoped to!).  Maria & Tina had never run these distances before-- but did so incredibly well!



These were the only two finishing photos that came in clearly.  Finishing strong!


Last year, Josh, second from left, came in first for his age group.  This year he ran the 5 miles in 28 minutes!

The following day Kevin & I ran the Half Marathon.  I couldn't photograph Kevin (because I was behind him) but Maria took this photo of me:

I hadn't trained nearly as much as I'd hoped to & I had a cold-- but I did it!  Erica had written me to meditate on Ganesh & Ogum, & that she would send me light legs.  That thought actually helped tremendously.  Everytime I felt overwhelmed I silently chanted "Om gam ganapatye namah," a chant to Ganesh I often offer during my yoga practice.  One of my teachers, Beth, taught me that chanting Sanskrit is said to impart the meaning on various layers of your being.  The internal vibrations help create a similar clarity to that of meditation.  Maybe I was highly suggestible but it worked!

The crowds cheering & waving signs were also so encouraging.  On Front St in South Philly I ran past a sign that read, "If you were Paul Ryan you would have been here an hour ago."  Ha!  

At the end of the race the loudspeakers were blaring Sinatra's "New York, New York," to welcome home marathoners from the Sandy-cancelled NY Marathon.  The huge cheering crowds, big swaying song, & my own exhaustion made me teary.  It was so surreal.  I honestly thought I might cry.  Then I saw the finish line! I know you have to finish strong.  I pulled some reserve out from somewhere and gunned it to the end.  Felt like I might pass out as I crossed the line & slowed to a walk-- usually I feel like I'll throw up.  I guess it's an indication that I'm pushing, right?

My time wasn't as good as I'd hoped (2 hours 34 minutes), but no matter.  Next year I'll train more and improve.  Kevin did really well!  He finished his first Half Marathon in Norfolk years ago at 2 hours.  This year he came in at 2 hours and 4 minutes-- after running the first four miles slowly with me & also not having trained.  He's a really strong runner.

I'm so glad to have run & to do so with people I love.  Onto next year's races!

No comments:

Post a Comment