Monday, August 12, 2013

The Barons Rebelled


In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?

- Woody Guthrie

I love the land.  
I push back against the government.

The Baron's rebelled and held their
wealth.  Not their
land.  The land is under the fingers of
slaves and running through the blood of
Indigenous and it has seeped into
the settlers I
acknowledge (as a settler).

I fight for independence from 
governments who spy and 
prosecute spies like 
Snowden and reject the sovereignty
of nations like Palestine and
incarcerate their own critics like
Bradley Manning and steal taxes and
fair wages from Mexican immigrants after
they moved the border, stealing parts of
Mexico.

I fight for independence from its authority from its
image of just and right.  

I push back.
I love the land.  

I love the land that reached into bodies that
created food and fed us and houses
animals and touches the sky and 
bleeds into the water.

I fight for independence from
the government that waves its colors of
red, white, and blue as an accusation, as bullying, as
obligatory, as blood

My country is earth
no borders
no citizenship

I push back.

No comments:

Post a Comment