Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Okra is blooming. I'm returning.


The view from the okra/strawberry patch in our front yard.  I'm falling in love with okra.  It's tall, regal stems.  It's sweet fruit spearing the sky.  The yellow blossoms spiralling open at leaf junctures.  There seems to be a lovely world at the feet of okra.  I imagine myself miniature, strawberry stained feet, eyes reaching upwards to okra blossoms, to life climbing.

I'm getting back on schedule.  Expect more frequent postings here.

I've even gotten fall seeds in the ground!  I was late to it, so warm footed plants went into the hugelkultur beds.  I'm hoping their internal heat might extend the cold crop growing season.  I may also experiment with some cold frames this year.

Nails are painted to mask the dirt beneath.  My cuticles are ripped up as I refuse to plant with gloves or a trowel.  I like to dig my fingers deep.  Let work be tactile.

Here's some of what I've been upto:

Tending the serviceberry tree.

Remembering a teenage fling.

Offering a yoga workshop to access creativity.

And wandering through the garden.  Building fires at night so that I wake with smoke-scented hair.  Rubbing my fingers on rosemary, persimmon leaves, feeling the soft underbelly of a tomato stalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment