Saturday, November 2, 2013

Dirt & Muscle

I've been tasked with being vulnerable.  Today, I'm supposed to publicly show my soft underbelly.  I'm currently in a (fantastic!) writing course, Digging Deep, Facing Self with Caits Meissner.  It's a big part of why I've been so quiet on this platform-- I haven't been reading (unheard of for me) nor listening to NPR (equally strange) because I've been delving into memory & imagination.  Part of this process is gaining a little experience with being exposed.  Hence, a piece from the course to share with you.  I would greatly appreciate your feedback in the comments below.  Interacting with creative work helps me grow-- & I'm happy to offer the same to you.

Dirt & Muscle

I.

We hid in late night lamp light
stories gathered in our eyes.
Generations of women
with their fingers out of the covers
clutching a book.

Shuffling at the church pew,
holding a hymnal
the words dusty.  
Catch tight breath.  Chewing
clunky waiting to
speak spirit.

The barn relaxes into
Tennessee hills, where
my grandmother hid
to read.  The tired
boards creaked with
teenagers leaning against
one another hearing the piano
sing what hymns forbade.

The beams held when
my great-grandmother
tied her noose, hanging
limp against light.

II.

I keep a jar of Georgia clay by
my bed.  My grandfather scooped
it bare-handed from the earth.
Fertile enough to
grow peanuts, suspend water,
absorb blood.  

Dig in clay and muscle
to sweat off your sins.  Press
thumbs together, earth distills
to silk.  I’ll paint you with soil.  
Heal your skin.  
I plant to purge.  

I hide and watch the
sand separate, watch the
clay turn to dust.  
Southern earth
that spit me out
won’t let me
back in.


No comments:

Post a Comment