Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Yoga for a fractured foot

A month ago, I got a text from a friend saying his guitarist was sick. He asked if I could fill in on the fly. I raced out the door and to the club and picked up a guitar. Something clicked and we were in the zone! The audience formed a mosh pit and the lead singer crowd surfed! It was 1995 all over again. I decided to go for the big finish by jumping off the drum kit. I landed on the outer edge of my foot and fractured the metatarsil.

Well, I did fracture the metatarsil but the rest of that stuff hasn't happened (yet). I actually injured myself walking. *Hangs head* I wish it had been jumping off a drum kit.

Like all injuries, this has been a great teacher. I've been icing and elevating while I work. Folks ask me what I'm up to and I respond, "elevating." I mean that literally, physically, but it always tickles me. I have started to offer it multiple intents. I'm elevating, my spirit is lifting higher! One day, off the top of a drum kit!

I've been taking arnica montana and tumeric internally to alleviate swelling. I've been getting regular acupuncture treatments, meditating, and practicing yogic breathwork, or pranayama. I've also figured this was a wise time to eat very clean, so I've focused on the healthiest diet available to me.

The doctor who x-rayed me advised that I wear a boot to stabilize my foot. It has certainly enabled me to get around more comfortably. I was developing secondary bruises and soreness based on how I favored the fracture. My injury is on my left foot and I've noted severe tightness in my right hip.

I decided to explore yoga asana, or physical yoga poses, that wouldn't aggravate my foot. Thankfully, it's spring, so I've dragged my mat outside and explored. Most table poses have been fine, like cat/cow, thread the needle, and wag the dog. I've spent a lot of time focusing on core strength in poses like navasana. Belly backbends have also been hugely beneficial. I've had a hard time finding ways to sit, elevate my foot, and not cause stress in the upper back or elsewhere in the body. It's challenging to maintain good posture with your foot higher than your heart. The backbends have eased the tension dramatically.


I also did a lot of supine poses, or poses while laying on my back. Twists like jathara parivartanasana were a godsend to that tight right hip. To address circulation and the swelling, I did some mild inversions like legs up the wall and shoulder stand.

The other day a friend sent the following link to a Astanga primary series modified to be safe for a student with a broken ankle. I followed her practice modifications today and LOVED them. The practice felt safe and so helpful in my body.

http://ashtangayogaclubdurham.com/2014/06/09/primary-series-modified/

When I was first injured, I subbed out several classes. I wasn't supposed to be on my feet and the pain was severe. After the first few days, I began teaching again. While I teach, I've been seated on a radiator where I can view all the students. I instruct, observe, and offer verbal adjustments, but I have not demonstrated nor adjusted students. I can't demonstrate many poses. I haven't adjusted nor assisted because I'm not steady right now. I always assist students grounded.

I've really appreciated this time and the new vantage point! I feel like my observation has been stretched and strengthened. This approach has radically shifted how I work with private students. I'm really enjoying teaching one-on-one and feel like I have even more to offer.

I'm looking forward to being fully healed but also feeling increasingly patient and content. Maybe that was the main lesson (and not to jump off a drum kit).

No comments:

Post a Comment