Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Land Sandy


Summer 2012 has become the steamy season of Asbury Park.  My husband, Kevin & I have made it down a few times, initially on a friend's reccomendation.  This past week we played hooky & ran down for a day to show this sweet town to Kevin's cousin, Maria.  We ate red velvet pancakes, romped in the waves, dug our toes in the sand while reading, & eventually I began practicing yoga.

Fear presents itself in most people's practice.  Backbends & inversions are common places to get trepidatious.  It's wise to want to keep your spine in tact & not crack your skull!  With consistency, the spine does become pliable & we do retain the core strength & balance to float into beautiful inversions, though the fear may persist.  I feel significantly more comfortable practicing inversions at the beach because sand breaks my fall.

So there I found myself again.  I placed my towel on the sand.  Tried not to be self-conscious about doing something fairly curious in public.  Put my elbows & the crown of my head on the towel.  Dug in for stability. Engaged bandha.  Lifted to sirsasana.  Eventually my legs fell behind me & I landed in dwi pada viparita dandasana, a backbend that really expands the chest.  Up & down I went a few more times.

Stayed with my breath, planted my forearms, lifted my head so I could gaze at my thumbs, one leg up, then the next for pinca mayurasana.  Up... & over.  Inversion to backbend.  Eventually I heard clapping.  I looked up and a group of girls, probably ranging in age from 13 to 15 wanted me to watch as they did gymastic walk-overs, cart-wheeling from yoga wheel to hand stand!  I gave thumbs up & watched wide-eyed while their nimble strong bodies paraded through the sand.  They then became curious about my practice & planted their elbows on the sand.  I mimed instructions about elbows nearing one another, the crown planting in the sand, & they followed.  Legs rose & a sea of young girls lifted into sirsasana.  They then tried pinca mayurasana play & wound up with the same sandy landings I'd found.

I later went and spoke to these girls.  They were gymasts who had heard of yoga, but not yet practiced.  I suggested they do so as they already had such body awareness & fearlessness.  I then returned to the waves to rinse off & refresh.  I felt so much lighter sharing this practice with young women who were finding joy, purpose, & strength in their own bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment