Monday, July 30, 2012

Receive

San Marcos, Guatemala
Yesterday my husband & I had seven hours to kill as we drove home through the Eastern Shore.  It's a great drive.  Tons of crape myrtles & roadside farms.  Tons of time to swap stories & listen to music.  

Kevin recently came across a story of a man who had been eating only what he grew.  Certainly no easy feat, but a recognizable goal as many of us become increasingly attentive to place, environment, & health.  Over time, he decided to instead eat only what he could forage.  His explanation was that pleasure seeking ultimately resulted in suffering.  My ears perked, because this idea is found in much Buddhist thinking, though I don't believe this man self-identified as Buddhist.  He felt that seeking certain flavors or foods ultimately limited his exposure to knowing deeply what the world already provides.  I'm sure he experienced sacrifice & struggle, but he spoke of finding abundance & sheer, unexpected joy.

He embarked upon a journey of receptivity.  The goal was to see what was already around him in his nearby environment.  It was such a lovely idea.  Certainly, it sounds a bit more ambitious an undertaking than I'm ready for (I really like cheese) but it also helped me understand the breadth & depth of relinquishing control & opening.  

When I practice yoga I often try to still my competitive impulse towards "succeeding" in the practice.  In some way, I have categorized receptivity to certain areas of my life.  I definitely don't apply the concept to my eating habits, & perhaps I'm not all that consistent with it's application in my yoga practice.

It reminded me of reading another environmentalist several years ago.  He reccomended laying in your yard & just watching life unfold around you.  Suddenly, what can be conceived of as mundane can feel like a teeming wilderness.  Watching soil breathe, ants work, & the breeze's sculpting arm.  It reminds me that wildness isn't necessarily far off.  Wildness, wilderness, can be wherever I am.  It can be what I am.

I do pleasure seek.  I enjoy my practice & cultivate joy in my practice.  I love travelling & chose a photo to illustrate this blog from San Marcos, Guatemala, one of my favorite places on the planet.  Certainly, in time I would love to find more satisfaction & less seeking.  Perhaps the consistency & attention are moving me towards that place.  Maybe I can be receptive to being exactly where I'm supposed to be.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I think that reading this blog is a form of pleasure seeking - oops!

    ReplyDelete