Friday, July 13, 2012

Theme

During my yoga teacher training I had the good fortune to be surrounded by writers & artists.  This meant that developing voice became a big component in learning to teach yoga.  I love this.  I wrote poetry & short stories as a teenager (& hope to resume that activity).  I sat at the edge of my straw bale during story festivals.  I love yoga classes when I get to receive the gift of story & watch it soften my mind & open my body.

For this reason I try to be attentive to theme in a vinyasa yoga class.  There are many different types of yoga & many different ways to teach it.  For the most part, a steady theme to provide access points into body & practice can truly draw a student deeper within themselves & bind a class more tightly to the collective journey.

I teach at least six classes each week.  I try to develop a new theme for each class because students often come to more than one of my classes (for which I'm grateful!).  When I first started teaching I felt like an amateur stand-up comic, trolling for material.  I still feel that I constantly look for something salient & applicable.  It's a great process.  I listen to music differently.  I read a bit more deeply.  I want to apply what's feeding me to this practice that I hold so dearly.

Yoga puts everything in sharper relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment