Thursday, September 6, 2012

Effin' Technology

In August, my cell phone died.  Last week, my ITouch died.  I had already replaced the phone with another cheap-o cell phone that got the job done.  The ITouch was a little rough.  I have about 25 playlists on there that I use when I teach my 6 yoga classes each week.  Plus, there's solitaire.  Love that game.  The ITouch was nice when we travelled because I could pick up a Wifi signal in most hostels & check in at home without worrying about insane roaming fees.

I've been thinking for about a year of upgrading to either an IPhone or an IPad.  It would be useful for Kevin's landscaping business.  We could get the piece that allows you to take credit payments, which some customers would certainly appreciate.  Also, we could coordinate calendars, emails, & directions even while out on jobs (where Wifi is notoriously unreliable).  However, it involves getting a data plan, which I have fought vigorously for years.

Financially, Kevin & I are fairly conservative.  We try to keep our monthly expenses as low as possible.  Most of our furnishings, clothes, & stuff is hand-me-down.  We don't drink alcohol or have cable.  Our biggest luxury is the annual international trip, but even that is very low-budget.  We stay at little family run inns or hostels.  The biggest expense is usually the flight.  The rest of the year we probably spend most of our  discretionary budget on gas to drive to fun beaches, trails to hike on, visit friends, or go out to eat vegetarian junk food.

So I don't like to introduce new bills into our lives.  But, the music thing has become pretty important.

Kevin & I did some research, talked about it, & ultimately decided I would get an IPhone.  I got it Monday. It's so unsatisfying.

I had some excitement about all my music & communication being consolidated, & long-lusted after apps like "Shazam" & maybe something (don't know if it exists!) that would help me with plant identification.  Instead, all I can think about is that this machine was created from materials robbed from the earth & there's no good way to put it back in once it dies.  It adds another bill to my credit card & $20 to my Sprint bill each month.  It will make me more distracted & technology-dependent-- both things I fight little but resent a lot.  In principle, I think it, Apple, & the whole craze stink.  However, like most people, I'm attracted to bright, shiny things that talk to me.

Atsion Lake
My take away?  Atsion Lake, nature, life, is satisfying.

An Iphone?  Not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment