Friday, September 28, 2012

Vs.

Maybe it's the change of weather, maybe it's imaginary, but I have felt zonked recently.  I already want to hibernate & September has yet to draw to a close.  On Sunday I knew I needed to rest & recollect.  My default was to drag the laptop into the living room, lay on the couch, & watch movies on Netflix.  That's OK.  But...  We have a few hand-me-down laptops & none function in all the ways we'd like them to.  The laptop that can run Netflix was currently updating Kevin's podcasts.  So I elected to read instead.

I started digging into my book, snuggling under a blanket, & finding myself happy.  & more restful.  I looked up and saw inviting sunshine.  I dragged the blanket into a sunny patch in the front yard & read there.

Laz joined me.  He's featured there behind the lemon balm.  I napped in the sun, relished the breezes, & then read some more.  When I became too hot I went back inside.

I'm addicted to vegging on the couch every now & then & watching Netflix.  I grew up that way.  But it's not terribly restful.  Every now & then, by choice or chance I stumble upon what truly serves me.  A lot of it I completely know & yet still resist.  I know that my energy is optimal, my skin glows, my muscles are stronger, my teeth whiter if I eat an all raw food diet. But I don't.  I eat as much raw food as I can, but I don't even eat only raw for one day a week anymore.  I know that reading is easier on my eyes than screen watching.  I know it's more soothing.  & yet.

When I ride my bike commuting I'm constantly excited by how preferable cycling is to driving.  & yet, I don't do it nearly enough.  I'm hanging my laundry to dry exclusively only because my dryer broke.  I know the habits & behaviors that serve me best, & yet still often resist them.

In yoga, the same premise applies.  What I know to be safest & healthiest for my body often feels hard.  Sometimes, rather than doing the work, toning, & becoming more familiar with optimal alignment, I want to just do something easier, more readily available.

Gradually, what serves me best hopefully will become my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment