Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Take Root

Recently, I discovered my high school friend, Jen Mazer, is coaching manifestation.  I try to support folks I love.  Even though I haven't seen Jen in the flesh since my 10 year high school reunion (gulp) a few years ago, I still feel close to her.  She provides resources to get clear on both how each of us might ideally live our lives & then stepping within that vision.

I began journalling my own intentions based on Jen's written suggestions.  A few things happened: I found the exercise sweet in its self-reflection.  I also felt reaffirmed that I'm fairly consistent in asserting my intention and living within it.  Kevin & I joke that we have summits to assess how we're living, if it's consistent with our beliefs, & directing ourselves purposefully towards a chosen path.  It's super easy for life to get away from any of us.  I hear all the time people ask where years went, or when a specific physical mobility retreated, or how easy it is to continue going through the paces.  Stepping back can feel like a luxury, or a mandate.  Every time I personally seek perspective on my life, or find the same undertaking jointly with Kevin, I get renewed clarity and energy.

By and large my life reflects my beliefs.  There are a few areas I'd like to grow & strengthen, but no huge departures.  I don't want to live anywhere else or do different types of work.  If anything, I want to deepen my roots in all areas of my life, deepen my proficiency, and continue to grow stronger.

One vow Kevin & I have made to one another is to travel every year, barring unforeseen circumstances (such as illness or job loss).  The world is too wide, rich, and lush to cede our experience of it.  The above photo was taken on Hoi An Beach, Vietnam, on the South China Sea.  I remember so clearly renting my bike for $1 for the day in Hoi An town.  Kevin & I bought a sweet snack of a freshly carved pineapple.
We braved the motorbike-manic traffic to cycle out of town towards the sea.  Arriving, we paid $.25 to store our bikes for the day.  On the beach I stretched on the sand and watched the monks smile while they walked along the surf's edge.  The world felt bigger and wider than my perceptions, my awareness, myself.  Full.  Laden with possibility.  What grounded this and other vibrant moments was the knowledge that I have a home and place to return.  I'm learning the soil, surroundings, and community here in South Jersey, where I've laid my roots.  I was born only a few miles from here.  The vastness of the world, and the possibilities of inhabiting it, continue to stoke my creativity & reinforce my desire to land here.  A month out of the year to reaffirm this intention, to stoke those fires, always strengthens my gratitude to receive this home.

My intentions, my purpose, is to be rooted in community, accountability, trust, & love.  Yoga & travel provide mirrors & affirmation that I'm staying true to these aspirations.  Travel is sweet adventure when there's a home to return to, and loved one's to hear the tales.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love this! Thanks Maiga. I'm so happy to hear that the writing exercise proved to you what you already know - you are living your dreams! And I still feel just as connected to you too! So much LOVE!

    ReplyDelete