Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Holiday in Cambodia, or, trying to be a white anti-racist ally

Travel is messed up.

Travel necessitates some type of transportation, which usually means using gas and hurting the environment. Then, what businesses do you support? How do they treat their workers? Their environment? What is the implication of your citizenship and level of access? Is that shared by those in your host community?

Yeah. And yet, travel can be absolutely illuminating. Travel can change consciousness and shift our realities. It can teach us greater levels of respect for humans and the environment. It can inspire within us dedication to justice and its realization.

Many people have asked me to develop a yoga retreat in the winter of 2015 to somewhere warm and not so far from the northeast of the US. I have been looking. Lordy, have I been looking. It's surprisingly complicated to find a place with a yoga space, the right accommodations, access to vegan food, and that doesn't require a ton of travel.

I found some promising leads in Vieques, Puerto Rico. And then I had to call some Puerto Rican friends and ask, is it right for me to go there? I was a part of the call to get the US military out of Vieques. There are still high levels of toxicity linked to cancer due to the military's experiments on the island. After conversations with friends, they felt it potentially could be a responsible act. The military stunted Vieques' economy. Tourism dollars, coupled with awareness of Vieques' history and current reality, could be beneficial.

I began concocting an experience including visiting the bioluminescent bay and inviting a Puerto Rican Independentista and former political prisoner to come speak to the group. And then I began calculating accommodations, transport to and from the local airport, and food. It would be nearly double what I charged in Guatemala, thereby cost-prohibitive to much of my community.

Accessible travel is important to me. I kept looking.

I found eco-cottages in St. Lucia that looked absolutely enchanting. Further research showed that while it would still be a little more costly than Guatemala (everything is) it would be more accessible for a larger demographic. I read on and discovered the site was a former plantation.

Seriously.

I checked in with a friend who recently returned from St. Lucia. Our conversation confirmed my sneaking suspicion. Tourism in the Caribbean generally means supporting a large multi-national resort where money is siphoned away from the local community and locals are largely exploited. Or, you can sometimes find small, locally-owned businesses, but many are located on former plantations.

Many of you followed the controversy earlier this year when Ani DiFranco cancelled a planned music retreat on a plantation outside of New Orleans. My friend, Clarissa, and I talked about our feelings over the Ani controversy. Clarissa largely felt sad because she felt like it was a missed opportunity for Ani, as a white woman, to model anti-racist solidarity. I also felt like Ani's defensive response was insensitive to the valid concerns of women of color and their allies.

And then I found a retreat center on a plantation in St. Lucia. WTF.

My first thought: you witnessed Ani's lack of awareness to the trigger of a plantation. Move along.

My second thought: why are so many plantations now restaurants and hotels?

I titled this piece, "Holiday in Cambodia," after the Dead Kennedy's song highlighting this behavior of white folk running all over and playing on beaches that were sites of massacres. In Cambodia, all tourists are invited to see the killing fields. While in Vietnam I talked to both Cambodians and tourists about this practice. Cambodians felt strongly that visiting the killing fields broadened awareness, provided history, and context. It kept alive both tragedy and accountability.

The tourists I spoke to were deeply affected and reverent.

I mentioned the St. Lucia plantation to a Jewish friend. "Yeah," she mused. "Former concentration camps are all museums. There's reverence in visiting these sites."

Old sugar-wheel on the grounds of the eco-retreat/former plantation

Granted, there are more plantations than concentration camps. But why have so many been converted into tourism spaces?

What do we do with these spaces of tragedy? I called Clarissa to talk this through. I explained that part of me wants to go and think through slavery's legacy. To do that responsibly, I think I would need guidance from and participation with an ally of color. But what does that mean for any participants of color? And a retreat implies some level of self-care. Would participants of color be able to feel safe there?

As Ani said, we all inhabit plenty of buildings and places with tragic histories that we don't know. But what about when we do know? When it's super obvious or we've done due diligence? Is there ever a way to inhabit that space respectfully?

The specific space I'm considering is owned by a German family who bought it in the 1960s. They've completed ecologically-sustainable renovations, created a diverse organic farm, and opened up partnerships with the surrounding community. From my research, it seems they've made space for neighbors to have farm plots, and share in other collaborative, community-driven enterprise. The owners are historians and speak openly about the land being inhabited first by Arawak Indigenous people before slaves and slave-owners.

No amount of community gardens erase this place's history as a plantation. Is there anything that can be done to make this space safe for people of color and allies? Who is this space meant for?

I'm genuinely interested in your comments below. I'm working to be clear, considered, respectful, and uplifting in my words. I ask for the same.

Clarissa urged me to write this piece to be transparent in processing as a white anti-racist ally. So often, I'm scared of being offensive or insensitive. I closet many processes for just that reason. She pointed out this tendency can be a disservice to other white allies on the same journey. Let's be open about these conversations and support each other in navigating responsibly.

With love, justice, healing, and accountability,
Maiga

7 comments:

  1. A few thoughts from a chronically self-conscious white American male:

    First, every endeavor has some fault attached to it just as smoke is attached to fire. There is no endeavor in the material world that produces a perfectly spotless result. The economics and logistics of retreats is such that there will always be some fault, both for the organizer and for the participants. Motive is the determining factor in the sanctity of an action, not the action itself. Therefore we endeavor to act with purity of intention while maximizing the positive and minimizing the negative as best we can.

    Second, a tree may be cut down by using an axe with a handle made from a branch of the very same tree. Therefore the tree of ignorance may be cut down using the artifacts of ignorance.

    Third, one cannot solve a problem from within the same system that created the problem any more than a drowning person can save another drowning person. One must step outside of the system. Injustice and exploitation are symptoms of material consciousness; of identifying with the bodies we inhabit and thinking that the world is meant for our enjoyment, that the universe revolves around our desires. Real equality is only found on the spiritual level, when we define ourselves as unique individuals with a common eternal spiritual essence rather than according to temporary racial, national, or religious identities, and when we take ourselves out of the center of the universe and, instead, see the world as meant for the enjoyment of the common spiritual source of all being.

    Therefore, you can bring people to a beautiful place with an ugly history and use that history along with the fact of its transformation as a visceral metaphor for our own individual and collective potential for transformation from the kind of material consciousness that produces all manner of inequities to the kind of spiritual consciousness that produces genuine equality that manifests externally as mutual respect, kindness, and generosity, and manifests internally as tranquility, illumination, and well-being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your thoughts Hari. I find your comments on motive especially helpful. I need to sit with that for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There has been so much said between friends about this and I am moved to take great pause in considering all sides. On the one hand I am with Hari Kirtana-dasa. Yet on the other I want to push for further exposure of the intricacies of seizing unseeded land and the human rights atrocities which have taken place there. You are right to point out that these are stories of privilege that continue to resound. While the frequency of such a vibration does seem to draw nearer to dissolution, it is not without folks who are passionate to continue education and inquiry. To me there in lies your rock in a hard place. We need to do our work in this world and we need to not be blind to disparities amongst our people.

    I'd like to respond to a point made by Hari Kirtana-dasa:
    "Real equality is only found on the spiritual level, when we define ourselves as unique individuals with a common eternal spiritual essence rather than according to temporary racial, national, or religious identities, and when we take ourselves out of the center of the universe and, instead, see the world as meant for the enjoyment of the common spiritual source of all being."

    While my ideas about this are not fully formed, I am left here to wonder about 'spiritual privilege.' What kind of impact do so-called 'spiritual communities' truly have on their non-native surrounds? Who gave them permission to practice there? Having experienced a few of these communities (and LOVELY ones at that), any time my desire to become a part of one surfaces, I cannot help but question how that community truly interfaces with the local people (in almost 99% of cases it is not an egalitarian outcome). I know I'm hitting a wall here. Hell I'm even contradicting myself. I just want you to know that I completely get where you are coming from. I think it's as important to reseed these lands with positive practice as it is to continue to have these uncomfortable conversations. In this token I would argue that the Buddha's work is not so different from Rosa Parks. And I'm sure we'll continue to dissect both sides to find the places where they at once intertwine and again diverge. If we're lucky one day we will make sense of it!

    Oi! Such a good, brave post dear Maiga. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. Noticing that I didn't really respond to Hari's point like I meant to. I guess I'm just curious about what makes me privy to accessing things on a spiritual level. The understanding that anyone can access this is there, but most of us require education and practice to truly access it. And here I am, the white girl who got to study things in India that most of that country's poorest have no access to (ashrams with high tuition, funds to take transportation and hire guides to some of the country's most numinous places, my own sarod with private tutoring... etc. etc.).

    My mind is very full right now! ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Promise I'll stop after this one.

    Hari Kirtana-dasa... is there a way to find your blog on your blogger profile? I don't see it linked and would love to follow your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hari's great-- check him out: http://www.hari-kirtana.com/

    Don't stop Ally! I appreciate the engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend, Pete, has been unable to publish a comment from a funky connection in the Bahamas. He wrote:

    I once read a science fiction story, probably by Asimov, set well in the future when star travel was possible. The protagonist was Jewish, and surnamed Cohen, which meant he was from the priestly class and therefore required as an observant Jew, to keep additional commandments, of which the most important was that he not be in the presence of a dead body.

    He was also a student of the Holocaust and while trying to keep that memory fresh for modern Jews, did the arithmetic showing (I am not kidding) the size of the earths atmosphere and the size of his own lungs and realized that every breath he took contained molecules of CO2 which had been created by the cremation of Holocaust victims.

    To keep the commandments as he understood them, he asked to emigrate to another planet.

    I suspect that any site that you will want to visit will have been at or near the site of some horror at some time in the past. If you agree that this is true, then the choices you have are to think that "time heals all wounds" ( and I don't think you are totally comfortable with that idea) or to accept that some cleansing ritual would allow the site to be used with joy. Could you imagine such a ritual and acknowledge its validity? Or even create one yourself?

    note: every grimorie that I have looked at has sections on Creating sacred sPace and cleansing rituals. You are not alone in seeing this as a serious problem.

    ReplyDelete