Friday, December 7, 2012

Intention


Recently I've been toying with my next moves in my yoga education.  I completed my 200 hour vinyasa teaching certification in 2010.  At that time, I was incredibly clear on my intention to study and teach yoga.  My relationship with yoga had largely shaped my life-- my Mom taught yoga while she was pregnant with me. As a child I was always peripherally aware of yoga, though I didn't attend my first class until I was 16.  I remember the lesson of breathing with movement-- exhaling when contracting and inhaling with expanding-- informed all my subsequent actions.  

I began practicing more consistently in my 20s to cope with the pressures of non-profit and grassroots work.  When my grandmother passed away, she left me a small inheritance.  I decided to use the money to cover tuition for a 200 hour teacher training program.  In this way, every time I taught would be thanks to my grandmother.  Also, I knew that teaching would offer me more practice because teachers can often practice for free in their home studios.  I hoped to teach yoga to others involved in social justice work so we could collectively sustain against burn-out.

In the last two and half years I have offered yoga seva, or yoga service classes.  I offered a free series of yoga classes at the A-Space, one of my activist homes, in West Philadelphia to activists and social workers. From that experience I offered on-site yoga at the Philadelphia Refugee and Resettlement Organization, through Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers at Northgate II, and beyond.  I still want to mindfully connect yoga with my organizing work, but I haven't figured out exactly how to do that.  Most of my organizing colleagues are time-starved.  Furthermore, there are a range of mobility levels and interest in yoga.  I'm holding the intention of creating space for health & sustenance.

Meanwhile, I continue to offer vinyasa classes at my home studio and to work with clients privately.  To grow as an instructor I pursue on-going education.  Last year I focused on adjusting and assisting training.  This year I've focused on anatomy and alignment.  

Part of my journey is in assessing where to take my training. I was absolutely clear on my purpose with 200 hour teacher training. That process made my life feel truly boundless. I'm continually surprised by the opportunities I've found as a certified, insured yoga instructor. I love yoga-- studying it, and sharing it with such a lovely community. But my 200 hour certification is kind of like an undergrad degree. Many yoga instructors go on to pursue a 500 hour certification, in which you specialize, as in a PhD. Here are some of the paths I've considered:

Forrest
I attended one workshop with Ana Forrest a few years ago. I really loved learning from her. I could go on for Advanced certification with her method. The Forrest method is always practiced in a heated studio, emphasizing physical strength to work towards emotional health. That certification is usually a 9 day intensive. For more time learning from her, I would spend a month doing another 200 hour certification process.

Jivamukti
To teach Jivamukti yoga I would have to take another 200 hour teacher training with Sharon Gannon and David Life, living at Omega or another training center for a month. They don't recognize other certifications. To then grow as a Jivamukti teacher I would need to find an instructor in NY to take me on as an apprentice. Plus, the training is one of the most expensive-- about $8,000! I'm continually drawn to the Jivamukti practice because of the soul-stirring joy. I would love to learn with Sharon & David. However, I'm unclear on how I would use that investment to best serve my students and my purpose.

Anusara
I'm not all that versed in Anusara, but this past fall I've taken a few workshops on Anusara Therapeutics, a method of using yoga asana to help heal and prevent injury. There's some controversy with Anusara because it's founder, John Friend, was caught having affairs with married instructors and smoking pot. In my mind, his actions don't discredit the whole method of alignment-centric practice.

I don't have sufficient exposure to Anusara classes, but I have found a highly reputable studio in Philly that offers a 500 hour Anusara training. I'm not sure the costs, but it's close to home, & offers students the chance to specialize. I'm leaning in this direction because I love using yoga to heal. It feels consistent with my first goals of allowing yoga to sustain social justice work. So many social justice organizers have hard-won compassion stemming from trauma. I would love to have more to offer my colleagues.

Iyengar
Philadelphia is lucky to be home to a Senior-level Iyengar instructor, Joan White. Joan spent years studying with BKS Iyengar in Pune, India. I've been lucky enough to study with her this past semester. I plan to continue learning from Joan. Every class feels like a workshop-- I get to systematically understand each asana much more intimately.

Iyengar is the method that informed Anusara. Anusara is distinct in that it's a more flow-based practice whereas Iyengar tends to spotlight each pose. They share a heightened interest in anatomy, alignment, and rehabilitation.

I plan to continue studying with Joan, but from what I understand, there's a really stringent process of certifying Iyengar teachers through a national body. It's a little daunting!

I think the bottom line is clarifying my intention. Based on what I've written here I think pursuing the Anusara 500 hour training makes best sense. Of course, I have to clarify dates, cost, and ensure that the studio feels like a good fit.

I always joke that if I had a Sugar Daddy I would do all of these trainings! I'm a little saddened to think that I might never do the Jivamukti training with David Life & Sharon Gannon. However, if I did every training I might never apply what I learned. & I might never consider what motivated me toward each training. While I love how Jivamukti feeds my soul, I have to know exactly how I would utilize that training in my own teaching practice. I'm pretty clear on how I would utilize Anusara 500 hour training-- offering healing and practice to others involved in social justice organizing. I think I need to continue following my intention & as my primary teacher, Beth Filla, instructed me, “let this all be an offering.”

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! thank you for sharing Maiga
    I especially loved the part about honoring your grandmother ;-)

    ReplyDelete