Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Looking for romance in the earth

Kevin & I are currently in a Rutgers class called "Soil & Plant Relationships."  Rutgers has a solid extension program on agriculture, landscaping, & horticulture.  Last year we took a native tree identification class, which was really wonderful.  Lots of time spent wandering the New Brunswick campus & assessing alternating and opposite leaves.

This class is really helpful, but I am craving poetry!  Monday, we had morning lectures with a chemist and afternoon lectures on soil and plant biology.  Both were useful.  Because I never see myself as relating well to science, or grasping the content fully, I have to stay really present and focused to the subject and my ability to comprehend.  I find myself constantly wishing for Wendell Barry poems, or a folk-tale on the earthy depths.  I love thinking of soil and plants in relationship.  As land stewards we're being taught to facilitate the healthiest balance possible-- & find increasing awareness for both the plants' needs & the soil's response to human interference.  Ultimately, it's a project in hospitable environment.

In terms of real content, I took away the practice of regularly testing soil Ph levels & feeding compost to soil.  Perhaps the real-world application offers the most romance.  In the real world I get to know more intimately silty loam and sandy, draining soil.  My own friendships to plants and their needs deepen.

Dark, moving rich soil makes me feel lush, resourceful, and creative.  I'm more mindful of balance and support when considering the layers of humus and geology beneath my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment