Thursday, July 11, 2013

Live in scale

I'm starting to think that limitations are sacred.

I said that to a friend yesterday & she responded, "that's why we bind in yoga."

I have smart friends.

There are tons of things I want.  I want no financial limits.  I want to travel wherever without worry about budget or allotted vacation time... or sometimes even potential safety risks.  I want things to go "my way" (whatever that is).  I want my metabolism to be faster.  I want to need less sleep.

I'm pretty clueless about what I need.  Usually after the fact, I can recognize something that I originally interpreted as restrictive as ultimately useful.  I see that by waiting, budgeting, working towards whatever my want may have been, helped me better respect and utilize its realization.

Beyond that, why should I get whatever I want?

I have had the huge fortune and privilege to travel extensively.  I've seen that most of the world does not share my access.  There are financial barriers as well as border impediments.

Whenever I travel I learn about different ways to craft one's life.  I often see innovative partnerships with the environment, such as rain barrels, clothes lines, intricately formed and spatially-efficient gardens, community collaborations, and collectives.  These efforts are crafted intentionally, sometimes out of necessity and other times out of a desire to live in scale with one's environment.

It's such an important reminder.  Most of the world's human population does not receive what they want.  Unfortunately, too many don't even receive what they need.  Not only humans, but animals by and large live in scale.  They eat seasonally or what they can access (often around human interference).  Plants absorb the nutrients and resources that they can reach.  All living things are contained in some way, hemmed in.

I remember saying to a friend years ago that when I had extra money I felt my resolve towards projects I deemed worthy waver.  I would feel comfortable and a bit softer.  When my resources were smaller, I felt more motivated and also more connected to other people and living beings.

I think of that now.  I've been feeling certain limitations recently.  Restrictions pressing against what I want.  I'm beginning to be grateful for these perceived boundaries.  Why should I have everything I want?  I don't think that would make me a better person.  I don't think that would increase my capacity for compassion.  I don't think it would add to my sense of solidarity and affinity with others, especially those disenfranchised, with whom I hope to align.  I don't think I would pay as close attention to some of the governing factors in the lives of animals nor plants.


I'm bound.  I'm bound into a network of living beings and resources.  I want to stay within that web, which by definition has boundaries, perimeters, limits.  They are sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment