Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Viking Gods & Revolutionary Priests: Travel-sparked learning

The other day I readied to purchase flights to Guatemala for the retreats I'm leading this winter.  Kevin said, "why don't we stick around a bit?  Travel some the two of us?"  "Hmm..." I responded, "Belize?  El Salvador?  Elsewhere in Guatemala?  Mexico?  Honduras?"  "El Salvador," he answered decisively.

OK then.  Tickets are temporarily postponed.  Lonely Planet is ordered.  I'm excited to learn more about another corner of the world.

The first thing that came to mind is Liberation Theology.  Kevin worked with the Catholic Worker in Norfolk, VA as a teenager.  The beliefs and actions were highly influential to this young activist.  I'm increasingly interested in faith as the galvanizing force in social justice.  I feel like so much of my own social justice work stems from my evolving beliefs.  Liberation Theology is linked to beliefs of groups like the Catholic Worker.  It compelled many members of the Catholic Church to fight alongside the poor and disenfranchised in El Salvador and elsewhere in Latin America.  I've always been curious about this belief system, but also about it's history in the region.  I reached out to some friends I thought might be better versed in this field and they've sent me suggested readings.  I'm so excited to learn more about this movement where it was so influential.

This is one of my favorite aspects of travel-- immersive learning.  In Vietnam, I had a huge stack of novels and histories by Vietnamese authors, as well as works by those who lived in Vietnam and were affected by such a lush, rich space.  I can't wait to return, and look forward to reading Thich Nhat Hanh and others influenced by Vietnamese Buddhism & Animism.  In Argentina & Cuba I read memoirs of Che Guevara, histories, short stories, and epic poems.  Gauguin took on new depth after visiting Panama.  Travel is an opportunity to learn deeply.

I've also found that host community members are often grateful when they see a visitor reading and learning more about their host environment.  I'm preparing a yoga retreat in Iceland & becoming better versed in the rich literary history of this island.  There are Viking epics and novels and poems that are referenced in daily conversation.  It seems to me that an experience would be limited if those sweeping landscapes weren't partly back-drops to these age-old stories.  I can't wait to become better versed in this canon.

Out of respect for other humans, for spaces, and experiences, I want to learn world histories, stories, songs, and graphic depictions.  There's only so much any of us can digest in any moment, but that's why I'm thankful for building in annual international travel.  Every trip, another opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment