Thursday, January 3, 2013

A happy & healthy Holiday

This was the best Christmas ever.

I've written before that I often struggle with the holidays.  I'm generally a happy person but I tend to find more joy & communion with those I love throughout the year.  I get overwhelmed by Thanksgiving & desperate for January well before Christmas.

This year was different.

A few days before Christmas a dear friend collapsed.  He lives a state away & several hours drive.  His health has always been robust so this was entirely unexpected.  I quickly learned that he was unconscious in the hospital & there was little to no information about the cause of his condition.  For two long days he was unconscious.  I kept desperately trying to trust that to heal he needed this rest.  I kept trying to trust that he would regain consciousness & heal.  I wasn't sure.  There were moments when I thought I would lose him.

On Christmas Eve he regained consciousness.  It's still unclear what caused his blood sugar to spike so dramatically when he isn't a diabetic, but most importantly, it has stabilized and he's recuperating.

I was so thankful that he pulled through.  I try not to take anyone nor anything for granted, but in day to day life it's easy to forget the intricate web we've woven around us.  This dear friend is integral to me.  I am so absolutely grateful for him.  I am so glad that he's healing.

Any of the other worries or sadnesses that creep into my consciousness around the holidays had no place.  He recovered.  I have people & animals around me who I absolutely love & cherish.

I wish I could maintain this mindset without such traumatic reminders.  I'm not sure what it would take to foster that type of clarity.  I'll continue to work on being present & grateful.  For now it's easy.  Phil is OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment