Monday, January 14, 2013

Ecuador Preparations

I'm getting into trip prep mode.  I love the research phase of a trip.  I've read up on Ecuador.  I know the regions that should be accessible given infrastructure & our available time.  I've booked our arrival night in a backpacker's hostal.  As we acclimate to the high altitude we should be able to get some nice tips from other travelers.  & the rest... we improvise.

I love researching authors from my destination, writers with works about the destination, or other relevant reading.  I used to bring library books.  Kevin bought a Kindle for travel but it broke a week into our Guatemala trip.  Once home, Kindle rushed the delivery of a replacement.  Didn't really help us while backpacking around Guatemala.  Now we purchase used copies of books & leave them with new found friends as we finish.  Good travel karma & an easy way to lighten the backpack.

I've called Sprint to set my IPhone to seasonal standby the day we leave.  It won't function as a phone or 3G-- saving me international roaming fees.  Instead, I can use it as an Ipod & wifi.  Sweet!

I called my bank & credit card providers alerting them to my travel plans.  No frozen funds.

Pulled out the Eagle Creek backpack.  My apologies for the blurry photo.  Before purchasing this pack I made sure it met most airline requirements for overhead storage.  Saving on baggage fees!  This day pack holds my books, Ipod, & incidentals.  It slides easily under the seat in front of me.
So far the main pack of my Eagle Creek rincon bag has happily fit into the overhead compartment of both American Airlines & United flights.  Eagle Creek no longer makes this exact model, but you can find similar packs that meet the same measurement requirements.  They fit a shocking amount!
I always fold up & pack this guy.  On the way home Kevin can either put this bag overhead (he packs incredibly lightly) or I sometimes have to check it.  Still, a $25 checked bag fee is less costly than shipping.  I have fit TONS of Panamian coffee, Vietnamese rugs, Guatemalan textiles... oh, that bag has been good to me.
Traveling without checking luggage means severe limitations on liquids.  One 3 oz. bottle per person is generally the rule.  I take sunscreen & Kevin takes bug off.  I find those to be the two liquids that have to be organic & are non-negotiable.  Once at our destination I pick up local toothpaste, shampoo, & olive oil to moisturize.  We find some fun products this way!

I've also started watching documentaries & films set in or about Ecuador.  The experience feels so much richer when I have context.  Already, these traveling toes are getting antsy... I'm ready for some happy landings!

2 comments:

  1. So excited to hear about your trip! Ours worked out after all, so we'll be following (in a more mediated fashion) in May. Any specific recommended reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I'm set to read the books featured in the photo above. Once I return I'll give some more informed recommendations. :) Can't wait to swap stories!

    ReplyDelete