Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Dance those blues away

This holiday season felt joy-filled because I was able to see what I have.  As I wrote earlier, I wish I had that presence of mind more consistently, but as Jessica Care Moore wrote, "I am a work in progress."

On New Year's Eve day that cheer came to a crashing halt.  I was intercepted by a message that shook me deeply.  I did the work I know to do to bring myself back to a place where I can feel functional, engaged, & present.  It was a steep challenge.  My friend, Yvonne, had invited us to a party.  Kevin was anxiously doing all preparations knowing that I was pretty inert.  I didn't want to ruin his night, disappoint a good friend, nor fall to depression.  I half-heartedly got up, dressed, & out the door.  

Thank God for community.  My biggest fear was that I wouldn't be able to be conversant.  I wasn't in that place.  But I didn't want to fall apart.  As soon as I got to the party my friend, Beth, tugged me onto the dance floor.  I never left.  

Sometimes the most healing step is to move.

Kevin & my prom pose photo
Lots of getting down

Apparently I hadn't eaten enough

Some of e'erybody
I rallied & stayed up til 1 am!  Most of y'all know, I am a true pumpkin.

Steady on.

No comments:

Post a Comment