Monday, August 6, 2012

Influence

Our surroundings shape us, as we shape them.  The people around us create us, as we create them.  This is the primary reason I try to be as respectful of my cat, Laz, as possible & keep dirt under my nails.  Living with an animal & working to be attentive to him, I feel, helps me become a warmer person.  I would love to take on more animals but I try to balance that desire with Laz's needs & the knowledge that we're not home a lot.  I'm hoping to make responsible choices.

Working in our garden helps me slow down & be a bit more aware.  We had a friend over recently who described a really productive working vegetable garden, canning, & pickling routine & still not creating enough food to move away from purchasing food.  However, he felt like the process made it worthwhile.  Eventually, we all may grow all that we need.  Even if we never do, the practice keeps us outside, allows us to build our skill set, learn plants, & learn land.  Often, when I'm weeding or watering Laz is wandering nearby.

Towards choosing our influences wisely.

4 comments:

  1. When confronted with an often stifling modern society, simply trying to maintain intention and motivation is really a radical act. But whether you are working to embrace positivity in your actions, or simply growing a tomato, just taking a small step in a forward direction means you are no longer sitting stagnant. And if we can receive and inspire that movement, well at least we will have made some good use of our short and confusing time spent on this beautiful rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha-- you broke the code & discovered you're said friend! & I agree completely-- I feel like living my politics means living simply & consciously of my environment. Well said Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also BTW I got a kick out of the fact that to post a comment to the blog there is a captcha code that you have to enter with your name to "Please prove you're not a robot" - because really, in an existential sense, isn't that the goal we are all striving for with this life...?

    ReplyDelete